Walkout

I don't know where to begin in my writing about the current walkouts around immigration issues. Simply, I'm inspired by and proud of the Oakland youth and youth throughout California and the country who are standing up and walking out for an issue. As teachers we can stand behind them. We can also take a stand and invest in the issues that are important to our students, provide historical context, and encourage students to both stand for their rights AND make healthy and intelligent choices.
This month the film Walkout, based on the East LA student walkouts of 1968, has aired on HBO. Although I haven't seen it yet, it seems like a worthwhile resource to explore as a possible way to give historical perspective and demonstrate the organization and leadership that is critical to constructive actions. The website has other resources that would enrich using this film in the classroom (or as an independent assignment). (BTW: I don't have HBO... so if anyone wants to tape this for me, I would really appreciate it.)
On Democracy Now! the film was discussed with the film maker Moctesuma Esparza, Luis Rodriguez, and E. LA high school student Yasmeen Chavez. It can be viewed on-line or downloaded as a podcast at this site or on iTunes.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home